The classes in Namaste! PRO allow you to segment your users in different groups just like in a real university. Then you can give access to different courses in each class, so for example your Math students don’t access your Music courses, or your free students don’t access the PRO courses.
By default each course is accessible to all students but if you assign a course to a class, it becomes accessible to only the users in that class and other classes that include the course.
Note that “accessible” means the user can enroll in the course. Course main pages in Namaste! LMS are always visible and you won’t make them invisible by putting them in a class. The purpose of course pages is to advertise your course – lessons are the real content and they require enrollment to be accessed.
How do you assign users to classes?
- User can be automatically assigned to the class during registration
- At the time of creating the class you can automatically assign all your users to it.
- You can let users sign up manually. To do this you need to allow the checkbox and publish the class signup shortcode somewhere on your site.
- You may choose to charge for signing for a class.
What about the class managers or teachers?
Namaste! LMS lets you specify user roles that can administrate the content and manage their own courses (learn more). With the PRO addon you can also limit their access to the courses and students that belong to a given class. Here is how this works:
By default the users with a role enabled to manage the LMS will have access to all the material (accordingly to the fine-tuned settings for the role of course). But by assigning the user as class manager you restrict their access to the courses, lessons and assignments that belong to this class.
So if you want to have different teachers for all of your classes you need to assign all users of the selected role to a class.
You can choose to grade your students performance in two ways: by assigning points for achievements (like completing course, lesson, or assignments), and/or by grading them like in school.
The points users collect go to their balance. It can currently by used as a badge criteria in Namaste PRO and can be displayed on the site. There is more to come on points.
The grading system can be used inside your Gradebook page to manage a real gradebook. Each student can have individual grades for each lesson and / or one final grade for the whole course.
Namaste! LMS lets you involve other people in the LMS management process. From the Namaste! Settings page you can enable other user roles to mange the LMS.
Just select the desired roles under “Roles that can manage the LMS” section.
Then you can can go to the “Fine tune these settings” page and additionally specify what these user roles do. For example you can let some roles manage assignments, but not courses and lessons. Other role can be able to create lessons but edit / delete only the lessons created by them, and so on.
Once done, all you need to do is to create user accounts for your staff and send them their account details.
From the Certificates menu you can create any number of certificates that the user can achieve upon completing courses. Each certificate can require one or more courses to be completed. Once the courses are completed the certificate is automatically assigned.
If you want to create the certificates in PDF format you can use our free PDF bridge plugin.
There are several variables you can embed inside the certificates to customize them.
If you need certificate designs you can check our free WatuPRO Certificate Templates. They are created mostly for the WatuPRO Quiz plugin but can be easily adapted for the LMS as well.
From the Students menu you can see all students enrolled in a given course. You can manually enrol a student. You can approve or reject enrolment requests (for courses that require admin approval).
The same page will show you the status of each lesson for each student. When the status is “In progress” a popup box will display the to-do items for it.
You can cleanup the completed status of the course so the student can enrol again in the same.
Each assignment belongs to a course and lesson, so from the Assignments menu you need to first select course and lesson. Then you can create assignment for it.
This is pretty simple – just write the requirements you have and the students will be able to submit their solutions. There is an option to allow file upload as a solution to assignment.
Note that by default assignments are optional. If you want a homework to be approved before the associated lesson can be completed, you need to select the assignment in the Edit Lesson page.
Every user with privileges to administrate the LMS can review and approve or reject assignments on the lessons.
To create a lesson go to the Lessons menu under Namaste! LMS and create one. All the content and media you want to include can be included inside the lesson just like in any regular WordPress post. Any content provided by third party plugins (usually through shortcodes) can also be included.
Each lesson has:
- Course it belongs to
- Lesson access setting. At the time of creating it says that there are no other lessons, but once you save it, you will be able to see all other lessons in the course. You will be able to select some of them to be completed before this course becomes accessible.
- Lesson completeness. You can require manual approval by admin, completed assignments, or a Watu or WatuPRO quiz to be completed with given result.
There are also two shortcodes you can use:
- The namaste-todo shortcode will display the items still required to have the lesson completed. This may be a quiz, assignment etc.
- The namaste-mark shortcode lets you include a “Mark as completed” button so the student can decide themselves when the lesson is completed. If such button is included in the lesson it will not be marked as completed until the student does it! The button will appear only after the “Lesson Completeness” requirements are satisfied.
Note that lessons by default don’t show up on your homepage. If you wish to show them, you need to enable the following setting at Namaste! LMS Settings page:
To create a course in Namaste! LMS go to the Courses menu and create one. The courses are just custom WordPress posts so the interface for creating them will be familiar to you.
Several shortcodes can be used to help you with the course:
- The shortcode namaste-enroll will display enroll button for logged in users. For non-logged in users it will display text “You have to be logged in”
- You may want to display enroll buttons for all your courses in a separate page – for example in table or something like that. To do this you need to use a shortcode like namaste-enroll course_id=X where X is the course ID. You can find the exact shortcode for your course on the Edit Course page.
- The shortcode namaste-course-lessons will display all the lessons available in this course. You can enable various sorting options, check the internal Help page under Namaste! LMS for more information on this and all shortcodes.
- The shortcode namaste-todo displays the required lessons that has to be completed to complete the course. Courses that are already completed by the logged in user will not be shown here.
Under the area for writing content, there is a box with Namaste-specific settings.
In addition to the shortcodes you can decide whether you want users to be able to enroll to the course themselves or only the administrator will be able to enroll them (or approve their requests). Students can enroll either by clicking the button on the course front-end or through the My Courses menu in their dashboard.
Each course can have pre-requisites, i.e. it may require other courses to be completed before the student can enroll.
You can also select which of the course’s lessons must be completed to complete the course. The course doesn’t require all lessons by default, so you can make some optional.
Note that courses by default don’t show up on your homepage. If you wish to show them, you need to enable the following setting at Namaste! LMS Settings page:
This addon lets you run advanced reports on user’s performance in the LMS.
You need to be logged in
to enroll in this course
Namaste! Connect is a simple module which allows you to automatically send emails and/or dashboard notices when certain actions happen in the LMS.
You need to be logged in
to enroll in this course