The classes in Namaste! PRO allow you to segment your users in different groups just like in a real university. Then you can give access to different courses in each class, so for example your Math students don’t access your Music courses, or your free students don’t access the PRO courses.
By default each course is accessible to all students but if you assign a course to a class, it becomes accessible to only the users in that class and other classes that include the course.
Note that “accessible” means the user can enroll in the course. Course main pages in Namaste! LMS are always visible and you won’t make them invisible by putting them in a class. The purpose of course pages is to advertise your course – lessons are the real content and they require enrollment to be accessed.
How do you assign users to classes?
- User can be automatically assigned to the class during registration
- At the time of creating the class you can automatically assign all your users to it.
- You can let users sign up manually. To do this you need to allow the checkbox and publish the class signup shortcode somewhere on your site.
- You may choose to charge for signing for a class.
What about the class managers or teachers?
Namaste! LMS lets you specify user roles that can administrate the content and manage their own courses (learn more). With the PRO addon you can also limit their access to the courses and students that belong to a given class. Here is how this works:
By default the users with a role enabled to manage the LMS will have access to all the material (accordingly to the fine-tuned settings for the role). But by assigning the user as class manager you restrict their access to the courses, lessons and assignments that belong to this class.
So if you want to have different teachers for all of your classes you need to assign all users of the selected role to a class. Let’s see how would this work, step by step:
Creating Teacher accounts and assigning to classes / groups:
- Enable a role to manage the LMS as explained here.
- Create user account(s) with the enabled role from your main WordPress Users page. Teacher accounts are created only manually because you would not trust strangers to manage your learning material.
- Go to Classes / Groups and click on the Manage link under Class Managers:
- Select the role and you’ll see a list of users to assign as class managers:
That’s it, now the user “teacher” will have access to manage the classes she is assigned as manager to.
Once again, very important: users who have role with “Manage LMS” rights will have access to the material and reports of ALL classes / groups unless you assign them as manager(s) to one or more classes. Once assigned, the teacher will have access to only those groups material and reports.